The Employment Wage Subsidy (EWS) program offers funding to connect employers with skilled, motivated workers as well as support job seekers that are entering the workplace, by offering employers funding to share the cost of on the job work experience.
Subsidy funding can range from 25% - 60% of the total wage (some conditions apply) for a period of up to six months. Employers are required to provide business information before funding can be put in place. Once the agreement has started, employers send in a monthly claim form with a small activity report, pay stubs, and time sheets. The Employment Wage Subsidy Coordinator assists each employer with the first claim and is always available to assist on an ongoing basis.
Program Eligibility Requirements
- The jobseeker must be unemployed and receiving Employment Insurance OR has received EI in the past 3 years (5 years for maternity/paternity leave)
- All contract paperwork must be signed BEFORE the employment start date
- Employment must be considered full-time (minimum 30 hours per week)
- The employer is responsible for all aspects of hiring the participant, including reference checks and criminal checks, if required.
Jobseekers must contact their respective Employment Services Office for a referral.
- The Employment Place - Salmon Arm: (250) 804-4770
- The Employment Place - Sicamous: (250) 836-2655
- The Revelstoke Employment Centre: (250) 814-0244
Employers that are interested in learning more about the Employment Wage Subsidy program are encouraged to contact Community Futures Shuswap to discuss eligibility.
For more information contact:
Funded in whole or part through the Canada-British Columbia Labour Market Development Agreement