In helping Richmond residents to become aware of and knowledgeable about substance misuse and addiction, our team of Addiction Specialists and Counsellors provides customized education workshops, training, youth and parent groups, public forums, special events and other collaborative initiatives.
What is Prevention? Prevention is commonly divided up into three levels:
programs or activities attempt to increase the well being and safety of individuals, groups and society by addressing potential negative situations before they result in negative consequences. In other words, prevention works to stop problems before they occur. In addition, prevention programs aim to stop current problems from getting worse.
Examples of well known prevention strategies include recycling, prohibiting smoking in public places, wearing seatbelts and reducing ones intake of refined sugar or greasy foods.
Prevention at Richmond Addiction Services involves preventing the possible negative impacts of substance use, gambling or other potentially addictive behaviours.
* Primary prevention
works to prevent harmful behaviours or practices from occurring in the first place. Examples include drug refusal skill development in elementary schools and educational programs for parents of preteens.
* Secondary prevention
works to prevent problem behaviours from progressing past the early stages. Examples include educating youth on the effects of drugs they may currently be experimenting with and recreation programs that give older adults opportunities for alternative activities.
* Tertiary prevention
involves helping those who have already established serious negative patterns to recover and regain stability in their lives. Examples may include treatment and rehabilitation. Addiction Specialists on staff:
Christine Aging Well Program
Estela Aging Well Program
Clarence Gambling Program
Kiana Gambling Program
Danny Community Program
Jaclyn Community Program
Parents and Caregivers Educational Institutions
RASS provides parenting sessions, presentations to PAC’s, information, support and referral. Individual education sessions are available. Parental education and support is offered in Mandarin, Chinese and English. [ more websites for Parents and Caregivers ]
for detailed information
• Workshops and seminars are available for administrators, teachers and professors from elementary to university institutions.
• For Professional Development days, presentations will be tailored to increase your general understanding of addiction along with addressing the specific issues within your school.
• We offer modified presentations for grades 6 through 12 as well as for college and university students.
• New programming includes utilizing Peer to Peer models! We know this model has more impact when understanding substance misuse and other addiction information than other learning models have. We are excited to partner with your educational institution to train teachers and students to help implement a sustainable peer to peer program within your school.
• Lesson Plans – Please come back soon to find lesson plans for grades 8 and 9, created by RASS Addiction Specialists.
• Consulting – Wondering what kind of programming or initiative would work best within your educational setting? Looking for something new or cutting edge? Our team of Addiction Specialists will be pleased to meet with you and your staff to help develop something to best meet your needs. Youth
Our Addiction Specialists are writing new prevention info for youth. Check out these links for current information relevant to you.
Adult Education Series Professionals and Businesses
We have created and delivered customized workshops for Managers of Businesses, Doctors, RCMP, Teachers, First Responders, Volunteer organizations, and other Social Service Providers. To better understand substance misuse and addiction and what your role is when helping others. We can help you better identify a problem and understand the referral process.
for more information.