HEARTY SAUSAGE WHITE BEAN SOUP
1 lb. pkg. FLETCHER’S Hot Italian Pork Sausage dinner links*
19 oz. can navy or white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 bay leaves
2 quarts low fat low salt chicken stock
1 carrot, peeled and sliced into ¼-inch thick coins
3 cups cabbage, finely sliced
2 leeks (white part only), sliced and rinsed
¼ tsp. black pepper
¼ tsp. fennel seeds
¼ cup chopped fresh flat leaf (Italian) parsley
1. Pre-cook sausages following package directions. Cut each sausage into ¼ inch pieces.
2. In a Dutch oven or stock pot, combine beans, bay leaves, stock, carrot, cabbage, leeks, and fennel. Gently boil for 15 minutes.
3. Add sausages and parsley. Boil gently for another 15 minutes, until beans are very soft and some are breaking apart.
• For variation, choose FLETCHER’S Mild Italian Pork, Redhook Bratwurst, Tomato Basil Chicken or Sweet Italian Chicken sausage dinner links.
• If using bratwurst, use ¼ tsp. nutmeg instead of fennel seeds.
• You may wish to omit pepper with Hot Italian sausages.
• Tastes even better the next day. Freezes well for 3 months.