Standard Automobile Insurance
This insurance provides coverage for physical damage (collision, comprehensive and specified perils) and public liability insurance.
Collision insurance provides coverage for collision damage you do to your own vehicle.
Comprehensive insurance provides coverage for such losses as fire, theft, vandalism and glass breakage. It includes such losses as windstorm, flood, impact with a wild animal, such as a deer, falling object, such as a tree and any other losses other than a collision. Specified Perils insurance provides coverage only for fire and theft.
In British Columbia the basic $200,000.00 liability is compulsory. Any increased liability coverage and collision and comprehensive coverage can be purchased from I.C.B.C. or a number of private insurance companies.
There are a number of separate types of coverage that can be added to the basic policy such as:
- increased accident benefits.
- increased underinsured motorist coverage.
- loss of use coverage - pays for a rental car in the event of a collision or comprehensive claim.
- Replacement cost coverage on some vehicles.
- Limited depreciation policy.
Link to the ICBC site for more information about their Autoplan Insurance