INTEGRATED PEST MANAGEMENT PROCEDURES (IPM)
IPM pest management procedures utilize other alternative methods to suppress pests effectively, economically in an environmentally sound manner.
Advantages of structural IPM methods:
- provide long term solution
- reduce the amount of pesticide used
- prevent developing of pesticide resistance
- control pesticide resistant pests
Components of structural IPM:
- pest identification
- pest monitoring
- establishing a threshold level for treatment
- treatment – pesticide are the last line of defense
- follow up inspections and evaluation of treatment
The ultimate aim of structural IPM procedures is avoiding pest infestations by stressing prevention methods such as addressing structural deficiencies, good sanitation and food storing practices and proper garbage disposal.