Our design and planning service is orientated to custom designed buildings, in fact, we have never built the same home twice. We have designed homes and commercial buildings from Alaska to Texas and overseas. From the classical log cabin getaway to elegant contemporary estates, whatever you want to achieve from your dream home Unique’s design service can capture your vision. Our design service is available worldwide which gives our clients the opportunity to utilize the skills of our log home builders and designers in the design of their home. Concepts will be distinctive and creative while still being customized to your own requirements and budget. Unique Timber Corp. builds many Architect designed homes as well, and we offer practical support to ensure the unique characteristics of log and heavy timber construction are accounted for within the guidelines of the Architects vision.
The latest in "computer aided drafting" enables us to provide 3D sketches, models, and fly thru's for conceptual visualization and clarification of complicated details. The CAD system also allows us to make changes to the plans quickly and accurately, and communicate these changes electronically to engineers and architects, streamlining the process considerably.
The Design Process
Any special ideas or style preferences could be collected in the form of sketches, magazine pictures, plans or brochures; this gives a good overall picture of the style of home that you are attracted to. You should also be prepared to offer specific information on site characteristics such as topography, climate, and vegetation; your lifestyle, disabilities, and family arrangements, both immediate and future. All of these notes can then be incorporated into the overall design of your living space, providing a sound starting point for a dream home that will be truly comfortable for all of the aspects of your lifestyle, now and in the future.
Once design criteria are established the design progresses from concept stage to the preliminary stage. Here we start to consider structural issues more closely and begin a dialog with Engineers to head off any potential issues that may arise. The earlier in the process that these structural issues can be worked out, and solutions worked into the plans, the less likely we are to run into potentially costly surprises later.
The preliminary stage of the drawings is the best time to refine your budgetary issues. Fixtures and the type of finish can be more accurately estimated during this stage giving you the opportunity to review the project and make changes to the size of rooms or finishes. This is also a good time to consider areas of your project that you would like to feature, and add high quality finishes or unique features to accent these areas. A carved log mantle, log or timber stairs and railing, or maybe an area of timber frame in a log home can become a focal point to an already beautiful home.
Both Concept and Preliminary plans typically include:
Floor plans that are easily legible and give relevant information such as room sizes etc. A concept plan shows the possible furniture location and facilitates in such things as room "layout" and a better understanding of the room sizes.
- Elevations of two (2) or more sides (front and side) showing head heights and roof pitch.
- A cross section taken from the central point in the home showing the interior and how the exterior reflects in style to the interior.
Finally the Preliminary Drawings have been agreed upon and the completion of Construction Plans begins. At this stage major changes in design are costly, so every effort is made to ensure that the preliminary design is as close as possible to the requirements outlined at the concept stage and that all concerns have been dealt with.
During the completion of Construction Drawings an exchange of information between designers, engineers, and contractors is established to facilitate in the completion of highly comprehensive set of drawings that is able to smooth out the construction process from start to finish. There are many construction details specific to log or timber frame structures and clear communication is essential to achieving a trouble free finished home.
We engineer all of the homes we build, and can work with your engineer, or you can select one from our network of Licensed Engineers throughout North America.
A complete set of working drawings typically include:
Site Plan 1/8" Scale
- A site plan typically at 1/8" scale is obtained usually from local municipalities, counties or a local land surveyor who could also provide available contour survey plan.
- A site plan will be designed to indicate the location of building and references to any existing buildings. Location of driveway, footpaths, major landscape features (such as trees you would like to keep) and the location of septic field if required, will also be included.
Footings and Foundation Plan
- Includes a description of the depth and size of footings. Soil tests or local jurisdiction requirements may also be required depending upon location.
- Basement plan if applicable giving a brief outline of any possible future development and plumbing fixtures.
- First floor detailed design and layout giving accurate dimensions and locations.
- Second floor/loft detailed design and layout.
Floor Frame Plan
- Detailed description of floor frame giving sizes, location and connection methods.
Roof Frame Plan
- Detailed description of roof frame giving sizes, location and connection methods.
- Views from all four (4) sides. Details and information on such thing as windows, roofing material, heights, etc. An accurate description of the proposed building.
Interior Elevations (optional)
- Interior views of feature wall, etc. To provide a better understanding and description of feature timbers and features.
- Two (2) sections are usually typical; more shall be shown depending upon complexity of building.
Details - Scale varies
- Details of construction methods of areas such as stairs, joist and beam connections, roofing details, etc.
Door and Window Schedule
- Door and window size and specification depending upon the manufacturer information and those selected by the client.
Electrical Plan (optional)
- Giving the location and the type of electrical outlets, switches and fixtures, etc.
- A color artistic impression of your home once the basic designs has been established. Additional cost for this service depending upon the size of the home