With our combined years of experience in concrete, aggregate and cementitious materials, we can help you provide concrete designed to meet any application. EXL Engineering will help you develop your product portfolio through research and development programs and provide support through on-going quality control and quality assurance programs. EXL can also mobilize to provide the materials testing and inspection you need, where you need it, when you need it.
Qualification of Raw Materials:
EXL can assess the suitability of raw materials for your projects and can perform a range of field and laboratory testing of aggregates and aggregates sources. In addition, we can perform a complete review of cements and supplementary cementing materials; including fly ash, silica fume and slag.
Audit of QA / QC Systems:
Offering review, as well as, preparation and implementation of QA/QC programs and specifications.
Field Inspection and Quality Control:
In addition, we will provide quality control and acceptance testing to assure that specific concrete properties are achieved to ensure satisfactory concrete construction and performance.
One of the significant problems facing the world today is the decay of infrastructure. A major component of this decay is the degradation of bridges and highways, especially the deterioration of concrete brought on by corrosion of the embedded reinforcing steel. Through proper design, this problem can be minimized and life expectancies dramatically increased in new structures.
EXL has completed hundreds of materials investigations throughout British Columbia. Investigations include aggregate acceptance tests, alkali aggregate reactivity, and condition assessments of concrete structures and concrete pavements.
- Investigation and analysis of deterioration, corrosion, chemical attack, structural failure.
- A range of field and laboratory testing and instrumentation including, non-destructive testing, failure analysis and troubleshooting.
- Life cycle assessment for sustainable design; how does concrete fit in the big picture?
Drawing on years of assessment expertise, our Materials Engineering Consultant provides analysis and design support for every element of your concrete construction project.
- Formulation of proprietary concrete products
- Evaluation of materials and mix designs for specification compliance
- Qualification of raw materials; aggregates and aggregates sources; cements and supplementary cementing materials; including fly ash, silica fume and slag
- Preparation and review of technical specifications for special applications
- Preparation of specifications and tender documents
- Project management and administration
- Field review and quality assurance
- Ongoing monitoring to allow maintenance to take place in a timely, cost-effective way
EXL can optimize your specialized concrete mix design for superior performance. Mix designs include the review and evaluation of your aggregate, cement, water, admixtures and other additives mixed and proportioned based upon the desired ratios and intended use. Product applications include:
- High-performance concrete for severe exposure conditions, extended service life or high-strength requirements
- Self-consolidating concrete (SCC)
- Pervious Concrete
- High-volume fly ash concrete
- Silica-fume or fibre-reinforced shotcrete
- Roller-compacted concrete pavements and dams
- Heavy-duty industrial slabs and pavements
- Speciality grouts for industrial applications
- Low-heat mixes for mass concrete
- Low-shrinkage mixes for critical applications and crack control
- Concrete mix design for extended service life
- Development of quality concrete using marginal materials
- Fibre-reinforcement for impact/abrasion resistance
- Grout qualification testing
- Architectural and coloured concrete, precast and cast-in-place
As experts on numerous program topics, EXL can offer seminars designed to keep your company and the industry informed on current technology, as well as provide more basic information to those new to the field. EXL can also provide programs to certify concrete craftsmen, technicians, supervisors, and inspectors.
- Basic Concrete Technology
- Supplementary Cementing Materials For Use In Concrete
- ACI Concrete Flatwork Finisher/Technician Certification
- ACI Specialty Commercial/Industrial Concrete Flatwork Finisher/Technician
- ACI Concrete Field Testing Technician - Grade I Certification
- NRMCA Pervious Concrete Contractor Certification
- University / College Lecturer Construction Materials