Safe Forklift Practices: Tips from WCB, Worksafe BC:
- Consult the forklift manufacturer or a professional engineer before using any custom-made load-handling attachments, racks, or pallets that may affect the stability and rated capacity of forklifts.
- Provide specific written safe work procedures for the operation of forklifts. Train forklift operators in these procedures. The procedures should include—but are not limited to—the following:
- Determine the load weight, load centre, and combined centre of gravity.
- Use an effective means of communication to alert workers who are in the vicinity of operating forklifts.
- Ensure a clear view of the work area before moving loads.
- Ensure that approved custom-made load-handling attachments, racks, or pallets and loads that could shift are properly secured.
- Do not travel with an elevated load.
- Keep forklift routes clear. If necessary, change workplace layout to keep forklift traffic away from workstations and pedestrians.
- Do not operate a forklift unless all the safe work requirements listed here have been met.
Source: WorkSafe BC
LIFT BC has been providing quality services to Lower Mainland, BC. We train individuals and companies. Pls. check out site for specials and call us