Barum reels are designed and manufactured in Maple Ridge, BC, Canada. They have taken approximately 4 years to arrive where I feel they are ready to be offered to the serious fishermen. Each reel is hand built to order and will be a limited edition, each having its own serial number. Our centre pin reels are currently available in two sizes with 4 1/4" and 4 5/8" spools.
Our reels are produced using manual machine tools only. They are manufactured to very fine tolerances with T6061 Aluminum used in the back plate, spool and reel seat mount. The shaft is made from 316 stainless steel, as are the springs, pawl, ratchet gear, spool nut and ratchet cam. Our reels are installed with stainless steel ceramic hybrid bearings (ABEC7) using non contact seals.
The reels are manufactured with the ratchet selector suitably positioned, to allow for either left or right handed operation, with an anodized finish in our standard colours black/silver combination and polished black contoured handles.
Our reels are laser etched with the company name and serial number. For an additional charge personal messages and inscriptions can be etched on to the reel.
Reel Features & Specs
- Ratchet selector positioned for dedicated left or right hand operation
- Two year warranty against workmanship or material defect
- Anodized finish in black and clear
- Alouette available with either spool knob or screw release
- Spool and Back plate constructed of T6061 Aluminum
- Sealed Stainless/Ceramic hybrid bearings (ABEC 7)
- 316 Stainless steel centre pin shaft
- Recessed reel seat foot
- Smooth operating 3 position ratchet selector handle
- Stainless steel springs and screws
- Contoured spool handles
- Custom reel diameters are available (additional cost)
- Custom laser etching available (additional cost )
- Custom porting and machining available (additional cost)
- Custom colour handles available (additional cost)
- 4 1/4" Diameter Spool x 5/8" wide: line capacity 30yds 30lb Dacron backing line, 150yds 20lb test Ultra Green Maxima
- 4 5/8" Diameter Spool x 5/8" wide: line capacity 30yds 30lb Dacron backing line, 180yds 20lb test Ultra Green Maxima
4 1/4" Alouette/Skeena as described $450.00 CDN + applicable taxes
4 5/8" Alouette/Skeena as described $475.00 CDN + applicable taxes
Laser etching (max 20 characters) $40.00 CDN + applicable taxes
Custom porting and machining available upon request
Shipping $20.00 North America $35.00 Outside North America
To ensure your reel continues to give you years of trouble free service, a few very simple steps are required on the part of the user/owner. Keep the reel clean and free from dirt and grit. The clearances between the spool and back plate and any bearing type surfaces are minute. The presence of fine particles can seriously affect the performance of your reel, by scoring the mating surfaces. If you suspect that dirt and grit have entered the reel, stop using the reel immediately, separate the spool from the back plate and clean the affected components.
The ratchet arm and ratchet pawl pinions should be lubricated every second or third outing with silicote reel oil, to ensure they continue to move freely. Contact surfaces between the cam and the ratchet arm and also the springs and spring stops should receive a smear of silicone fishing reel lube. The bearings are ready lubed maintenance free units, but should not be subjected to elements that will compromise their performance or working life.