consumer proposal

By: Bankruptcy Montreal  09-12-2011
Keywords: taxes, debts

Question: Please tell me what to do? I have absolutely no debts accept Federal and Provincial taxes in the amount of $3000 per month in installments for my last years income. I have made an arrangement with both governments to make installments each month totaling $3000 per month. Now my business has declined this year 50% I cannot afford to pay the taxes from last year….what do I do? If I take another job with less pay I certainly cannot pay these taxes…monthly…I am willing to pay but what worries me is what happens to next years taxes I owe…if I get a regular job and own my own business how can I catch up on these taxes?

Answer: Without knowing what the future will hold, it’s impossible to create a perfect strategy. Here are your options:

First, you could pay whatever you can afford each month. If you can afford $1,500 per month, pay that. It’s possible that over the next few months your business will improve, and you will be able to get caught up in the future.

Your second option, as you mentioned, would be to get a “regular job” where taxes are deducted from your pay each month, so that at the end of the year you don’t owe any taxes. That solves your problem in the future, but does not deal with your old tax debts. It may be that it will take a long time to get caught up with the government.

To make your decision, you will need to decide whether or not your business is viable. In other words, in the future will you be able to earn enough to support yourself and to pay your taxes. If you are self employed you should remit your tax installments every month, or every three months; if you are always paying last year’s taxes this year, then your business probably isn’t viable.

The information in this article was current at 06 Dec 2011

Keywords: debts, taxes

Other products and services from Bankruptcy Montreal


Archive for the ‘loans’ Category

If I was to file for consumer protection what would that do to a house that is co-signed as well as a car?. Would we have to give up our dwelling or return the car I use for my work?Thank you. Your co-signer is still liable for the debts. If you stop paying, they are liable.


personal bankruptcy

The real question is whether or not bankruptcy is the correct solution for you. Yes, you can declare bankruptcy.


bankruptcy and spouse

While there may be differences in individual cases, as a general rule you will lose your tax refund for the year of the bankruptcy, so you should assume you will not receive your tax refund for 2009. Your bankruptcy trustee can provide you with specific information on your case.


bankruptcy Montreal

1- if he does a bankruptcy will the buisness debts be eliminated even if he doesnt file the past 4 years of taxes. 3- if he declares bankruptcy will we ever be able to buy a house in the future.


bankruptcy trustee

Given that you know how difficult it is to keep a job during a recession, a big concern would be whether or not you will have un-interrupted income for the next eight years so you can make all of the payments. It would appear that it would be very expensive for you to make the payments on the consolidation loan for the next eight years.