Children and adolescents may not always have the words or vocabulary to describe how they are feeling. They may even have difficulty identifying their emotions, but as a parent you might have noticed some changes in your child or adolescent. If you’re worried or feeling overwhelmed, art therapy may be a good alternative to traditional teen or child counselling.
Toronto clients often find their child or adolescent benefits from therapy when he/she is dealing with one or more of the following issues:
- Irritability or mood swings
- Shyness or being withdrawn
- Anxiety about going to school or socializing with peers
- Trouble sleeping or nightmares
- Overeating or undereating
- Behavioural challenges such as fighting or aggression
- Grief and loss from separation, divorce or death
- Difficulty managing emotions
- Struggling to adjust to learning disabilities
Children and adolescents may be intimidated by traditional talk therapy. Art therapy allows children and adolescents to express themselves in a safe and fun environment. They can use images to explore past experiences and learn new ways to cope with their present challenges.
Some possible benefits of using art in child therapy:
- Improved relationships with parents
- Improved relationships with peers
- Better academic performance
- Greater self-esteem
- Enhanced problem-solving and creativity
- Ability to manage feelings and emotions
for more information about child therapy in Toronto, to arrange a free 30-minute phone consultation or to book your child’s first art therapy session.