COBOL Compiler: NetCOBOL for .NET
Windows, Application Development, web services
Fujitsu® NetCOBOL® for .NET is a COBOL compiler created specifically for Microsoft's .Net Framework. This means that it:
- Produces Microsoft's Intermediate Language (MSIL) that executes under the Common Language Runtime (CLR). This language-neutral, platform independent environment enables COBOL code to be mixed with any other .NET-supporting language (such as C# and VB .NET) on any .NET-supporting platform.
- Adapts OO COBOL syntax, and supports .NET-specific extensions, so that COBOL programs can be written to take full advantage of the .NET Framework classes.
- Includes Microsoft® Visual Studio Shell – i.e. Visual Studio without any other Microsoft languages, providing the integrated development environment (IDE) for NetCOBOL for .NET.
These features allow you to bring COBOL fully into the world of Internet applications including XML Web services and ASP.NET pages, and to integrate that code with code written in other languages. The .NET Framework gives access to the latest technology and NetCOBOL for .NET ensures this is immediately available to COBOL programmers. COBOL-85 code and, with the help of NeoKicks, NeoBatch, and NeoSort, mainframe CICS and batch programs can be compiled and run, enabling you to leverage your current COBOL assets.
NetCOBOL for .NET can be purchased in two different packages: Enterprise and Universal. The Enterprise package contains the .NET-supporting components along with some other COBOL development tools. It only supports the development of applications that will execute in the .NET environment. The Universal package is a combination of the NetCOBOL for .NET Enterprise and the NetCOBOL for Windows Enterprise products, giving you our Windows application development environment along with the leading-edge NetCOBOL for .NET product.
- COBOL compiler generates standard .NET MSIL (Microsoft Intermediate Language) code with the option to generate verifiable (Web safe) code.
- Enhances COBOL syntax to allow creation of and integration with .NET Framework objects.
- COBOL programs can be integrated seamlessly with other languages: inheriting from classes created in other languages, invoking and being invoked by methods written in other languages.
- Full access to .NET Framework classes, including XML Web service and Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) classes
- Mixed language applications can be debugged with the one, Visual Studio, debugger
- Interoperation with COM and existing native code compilers
- Includes, and integrates with, Microsoft’s Visual Studio
- Includes COBOL support for Windows Forms Designer, Web Forms Designer, and IntelliSense
- ANSI Code Page (ACP) and Unicode runtime data modes aid migrating and mixing ACP applications in the .NET Unicode environment.
- Enables you to bring mainframe/legacy COBOL code to the Windows environment, and provides the product round which the NeoTools are built. You can enjoy big savings in IT expenses or free up mainframe MIPS for other applications.
- You can utilize the latest technologies such as ASP.NET and WCF from COBOL using the award winning Visual Studio development environment.
- You pay no runtime license fees when distributing applications built using NetCOBOL
- Development teams deliver faster application maintenance and development using Visual Studio
- Lets you use the business-supporting power of COBOL, seamlessly integrated with other Windows and .NET components
- You can use existing COBOL skills to create up-to-date interfaces and applications or seamlessly integrate with user interfaces written in VB and C#.
, Cobol Compiler
, Cobol Development
, Visual Studio
, web services