The most critical challenge for complex operations is effective use of assets and resources in pursuit of a rapidly changing marketplace. Traditional methods of process control do not facilitate the flexibility and agility required today. Even though most processes may be considered individually efficient, effective asset utilization remains elusive. This is especially true as objectives and constraints become more dynamic and complex.
Subtle human factors also contribute to less than optimum operation. Operator inattention, lack of awareness and education, and varying risk tolerances create operating techniques that are rarely the most effective.
Since the business objectives that dictate the operating
philosophy for a facility rarely change, this approach eliminates
the costly maintenance and low utilization of traditional
DES technology incorporates reporting mechanisms that change key operating performance metrics from “How did we do?” to “What prevented us from doing better?” This subtle change is crucial for empowering an operating culture in search of continuous improvement.
Imagine your process:
- Changing configuration automatically in response to real-time market prices, weather, and resource availability.
- Always attempting to operate in a more economical manner.
- Respecting safety, environmental, and equipment constraints at all times, minimizing upset related costs.
- Automatically unlocking value hidden in transient opportunities and using consistent risk tolerance.
- Reporting barriers to improved operation in plain language, in real time.
- Running the way the designers intended.
DES offers technology to make this a reality. Our
operations experience and application expertise can help you get the
best out of DES technology.