Code of Conduct
Council Code of Conduct
The citizens of Sturgeon County have a right to expect from its local Municipal Government, one that is conducted with integrity, in a professional manner. Therefore it is imperative that there not be, nor appear to be, any conflict between the private interests of elected officials and appointed board members and their duty to the public.
Council Members of Sturgeon County shall:
- COMMIT to ethical, businesslike and lawful conduct, including proper use of authority and appropriate decorum when acting as Council members;
- REPRESENT, as a primary obligation superseding all other interests, the best interests of the community of Sturgeon County;
- SERVE in a liaison role when appointed as members of committees or boards;
- AVOID conflict of interest, by refraining from self-dealing or any conduct of private business or personal services between any Council members and the corporation, except as provided by the Municipal Government Act;
- NOT USE their positions to obtain employment with the corporation for themselves, family members or close associates;
- DISCLOSE their affiliations or interest with an organization that may affect their decision making on matters before Council regarding that organization;
- NOT ATTEMPT TO EXERCISE individual authority over the corporation;
- RECOGNIZE, when interacting with the Chief Administrative Officer or with staff, the lack of authority vested in individuals except when explicitly Council authorized;
- RECOGNIZE, when interacting with the public, press or other entities, the same limitation and the inability of any Council member to speak for the Council except to repeat explicitly stated Council decisions;
- DIRECT any comments on staff performance to the Chief Administrative Officer;
- AVOID public comment on staff performance;
- RESPECT the confidentiality of issues that are determined by policy of Council to be confidential, including but not limited to matters of a deliberative nature.