Infant Toddler Program
Autism Spectrum Disorder, Autism Spectrum, Autism Services
The Infant and Toddler program is an intervention model for young children (18-42 months) diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and is delivered by the Centre for Autism Services Alberta. It is funded by Family Support for Children with Disabilities (FSCD).
The program started as a 2 year pilot phase and as a result of the positive outcomes, has now been turned into a permanent program.
The Centre has been providing comprehensive autism intervention and support programs in the Edmonton region since 1997.
What are the major components of the program?
- A supportive team of professionals to help you and your child achieve their full potential (OT, SLP, Psych, Behavorial Specialist/Program Coordinator and Behavorial Aides)
- Strategies used will be based on current best practices that are child centered, family friendly, culturally sensitive, and address core symptoms associated with autism
- A comprehensive service plan is created with specfic goals and objectives in the five developmental domains identified in the FSCD legislation: behavior, communication and socilzation, cognitive, fine motor and gross motor, self help and adaptive; as well as a family generalization plan.
- Services consist of regular consultation and aide support provided both in your home; at the Centre,and in your community with typically developing peers
- There is a significant parent training curriculum that is utilized including Introduction to Autism and Best Practices, Behavior as Communication, Functional Behavior Assessments and the 8 week Hanen "More than Words" curriculum that is led by a specially trained SLP. Additional modules may be added from year to year
- A comprehensive, multidisciplinary report is completed at the time of discharge outlining the needs of the child, progress on identified family priorities, and program recommendations moving forward
How does my child qualify for the program?
- Your child must be between 18-36 months at time of application
- Your child must have a confirmed diagnosis of an Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Must live in the Edmonton region or immediate area
- Your child meets criteria for specialized services as defined in FSCD legislation (determined as part of the application process)
, Autism Spectrum
, Autism Spectrum Disorder
, Centre For Autism
, Program Overview