Cool Kids - Managing Your Feelings
Cool Kids is designed to help children manage a wide variety of emotions by working on the following skills:
- Identify a variety of feelings (happy, sad, mad, excited, worried and scared)
- Identify specific situations or events that are associated with certain feelings
- Identify a variety of bodily reactions that occur when a person is experiencing a heightened sense of emotion and rate the emotion on a 5-point scale
- Relaxation strategies: belly breathing, yoga movements and progressive muscle relaxation
- Identify additional strategies for coping and managing strong emotions (eg - safe place visualization, asking an adult for help, positive self-talk and positive thoughts)
This group is for children 6 to 11 years of age who have been diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder and struggle to express their feelings in safe and appropriate ways.
Dates: 9-week program runs Saturdays from 9:45 a.m. -10:45 a.m.
Note: There will be no session on Oct. 8 or Nov. 12
Location: Centre for Autism Services Alberta
Address: 4752 - 99 St.
Contact person for groups:
Gail Stanford –Group Consultant (780) 488-6600- ext. 216