Bowen Therapy - Synergea Family Health CentreSynergea Family Health Centre
What is Bowen Therapy?
Bowen Therapy is a dynamic system of muscle and connective tissue therapy developed over 40 years ago in Australia. Its small but precise movements over muscles, tendons, ligaments or nerves deliver signals to the nervous system, stimulating the body to reset the autonomic nervous system and heal itself. By using the body’s own innate healing mechanisms, Bowen Therapy holistically deals with acute and chronic conditions. Some of the physiological responses the body may experience include normalization of inflammatory processes and the healing of injured or degenerated tissue.
How does Bowen Therapy work?
Most people in today’s society live in a constant state of high stress and sympathetic dominant over-stimulation. This is called fight or flight – where our body is getting ready to run away from the proverbial tiger that is chasing us for its dinner. In order for healing to occur, we need to shift from a sympathetic dominant state to a parasympathetic state. This is often referred to as the rest, relax and repair mode. Bowen therapy seems to trigger this shift, helping to rebalance the body’s autonomic nervous system. There are numerous other physiological mechanisms that are influenced by Bowen Therapy, including the endocrine system, lymphatics, detoxification, acupuncture meridians, joint proprioceptors and the stretch reflex, to mention just a few.
How can Bowen Therapy help?
Bowen Therapy works well in both acute and chronic conditions. Some of the conditions that respond extremely well to Bowen Therapy include:
Learn more at:
- Musculoskeletal Pain – frozen shoulder, shoulder pain, tennis elbow, carpal tunnel syndrome, arthritic pain, sports injuries, back pain, sciatica, headaches, migraines, plantar fasciitis, shin splints, fibromyalgia, foot and ankle problems, hernias, knee and hip restrictions, repetitive strain injuries, herniated disc injuries, temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome, scoliosis
- Respiratory Problems – hay fever, asthma sinusitis
- Digestive Disorders – constipation, colic, IBS, indigestion, bowel problems
- Gynecological Problems – infertility, mastitis, pre-menstrual syndrome, breast lumps, menstrual irregularities
- Other Problems – Chronic fatigue, chest pain, tinnitus, bed wetting in children, balance problems
Some of the conditions that respond favourably to
Bowen Therapy include:
- Back pain and sciatica
- Digestive and bowel problems
- Earache and TMJ problems
- Migraines and other types of headaches
- Fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome
- Hip, knee, ankle and foot problems
- Menstrual and hormonal irregularities
- Neck and shoulder problems
- Groin pain, pelvic tilt and uneven leg length
- Respiratory problems and hay fever
- Carpal tunnel syndrome and tennis elbow
- Sports injuries and other traumatic injuries
Who can be treated and what to expect
Bowen Therapy is one of the most relaxing, gentle and safe modalities, which allows the body to heal itself with minimal intervention. It is appropriate for individuals of all ages and in all degrees of health, from newborns to the elderly. Because of the shift and balancing that occurs in the nervous system, most people will fall into a deep relaxation or even fall asleep during a session. Sessions can last from 30-60 minutes and are spaced from 7-10 days apart for optimal results. Three to five treatments are generally recommended for most conditions, each building on the previous. Long-standing conditions may require longer treatment duration. The moves are gentle but purposeful and can be done through light clothing if the patient so desires. There are frequent and important pauses between each series of moves, giving the body time to respond and benefit from each manipulation. Other forms of manipulative therapy or bodywork should not be performed up to four days before or five days after Bowen Therapy because of the subtlety of the moves and the body’s continuing response to them.
It is our policy that treatments are paid for the day service is provided. (We accept Visa, Master card, Debit, Cash or Cheque). If weekly payments are more convenient, you may pay at the beginning of the week and we will credit your account.
Also, check with your health insurance company regarding reimbursement of fees, as most third party health insurance covers chiropractic and massage therapy treatments as well as acupuncture and naturopathic visits.
Clinic hours are Monday to Friday 8am – 7pm and Saturday 9am-4pm
Initial Bowen Therapy Visit – $105
Regular Bowen Therapy – $90 Discover if Bowen Therapy is right for you.
To book an appointment or for more information:
Dr. Lisa Keen is a Certified Bowen Health Therapist and a graduate of the Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine.
The information in this article was current at 06 Dec 2011