Serene Mama Birth Doula Services
Services, birth, Labour Support
- During pregnancy, the placenta provides nutrients, hormones, vitamins, minerals, blood and oxygen for the baby, which it derives directly from Mom.
- When Mom nurishes her own body during pregnancy, the placenta becomes rich in natural iron, B vitamins and a variety of hormones.
- A significant amount of blood loss occurs during childbirth, which lowers Mom's overall blood volume and iron levels. The placenta alone accounts for approximately 8.4% of maternal iron stores lost during birth.
- Iron deficiency, coupled with the adjustment of caring for and feeding a new baby while Mom is healing, can result in fatigue, lowered physical and mental productivity as well as higher rates of stress and exhaustion.
- Several studies in Placentophagy suggest that consuming the placenta can help bring Mom's system back into balance by replenishing vitamins, hormones and iron that were lost during birth, which may help Mom recover more quickly from birth (increase energy , shorten postpartum bleeding and help the uterus return to it's normal size) as well as possibly prevent the onset of post-partum depression.
- Placenta capsules may also help enhance your milk supply.
, Birth Services
, Home Birth
, Hospital Birth
, Labour Support