PHCA will help you make better decisions by focusing on your priorities, personal values and wishes. We work to reduce stress and family conflict related to difficult health decisions during crisis ,as well as reducing costs associated with reactive or unplanned care. We help you make important and effective decisions that will include longer term needs.
- Gather information you need to handle a crisis.
- Translate medical information communicated by health care professionals
- Provide questions to gather critical decision-making information
- Establish and review all options for treatment and care
- Provide expert guidance.
- Identify and prioritize critical issues and family goals
- Synthesize information and options with your personal values, wishes and goals
- Guide and support sound decision making
- Create an immediate action plan.
- Offer strategies, resources or solutions
- Advocate for your loved ones
- Support your Family
Real Life Case Study (names changed for confidentiality):
Our client Harry collapsed at home and was rushed to hospital where his family was told he had suffered a massive stroke. Fortunately there was a caregiver in the home bathing his wife, Ann, who is no longer capable of calling an ambulance or getting help. Harry has been looking after Ann 24/7 as her dementia gradually progresses. Now the family is in a crisis as Ann can’t be left alone. Their 2 sons in Calgary work fulltime and their daughter lives in San Francisco.
PHCA worked with the family to put a plan in place that provided quality 24/7 care for Ann until Harry was able to return home. His recovery was supported both by Homecare and extra private services that provided Harry time and support for rehabilitation activities to optimize his recovery. Ann was thrilled to have Harry back home as she remembers only a few people now, but didn’t understand Harry’s limitations. Caregivers remained to manage household tasks and a day program was accessed to support Ann’s socialization and allow Harry some quiet time. An emergency contact system was installed for Harry to use and transportation was arranged until Harry was able to drive again.
PHCA then helped the family establish a long-term plan to anticipate future needs including an Emergency Plan. We opened the discussion around Aging in Place vs. the alternatives. We established both the practical guidance and legal support for health care, legal and financial decision making