Are you delaying treatment you need or want?
Terrified to pick up the phone to schedule
because of painful procedures in the past?
Have trouble with gagging or getting numb?
Overwhelmed by thoughts of
repeated visits to the dentist?
Experiencing dental pain?
Looking to smile again with confidence?
If you answered "yes" to one or more of the questions above, you are not alone. Fortunately, you have come to the right place in Calgary for cosmetic and restorative dentistry.
For many, going to the dentist is a needlessly frightening event, even though dentistry has changed dramatically in the past years. With modern technology, a visit to the dentist can now be relaxing and life changing. Unfortunately, this is not enough for over 100 million people who avoid the dentist due to fear. New sedation dentistry techniques can make treatment pain free, reducing what would take multiple sessions to a single visit.
With the use of oral medications, patients can now have their dental care accomplished while they are totally relaxed and absolutely comfortable. Sedation dentistry can give you back that confident smile you may have thought impossible.
Here is how it works:
Step 1 - Making your first appointment
The solution is a phone call away. You may be anxious or fearful. We can answer all your questions and help you feel more comfortable coming for your initial visit. We are to help you as we have many others successfully.
Step 2 - Welcoming visit
We welcome the opportunity to get to know you. We will do no more at this visit than you are comfortable with. If that means only discussing your wants, fears, and goals, that is as far as we will go. If sedation will be required to accomplish the diagnosis, we will schedule accordingly. You will never be judged or embarrassed.
Step 3 - Preparing for your sedation visit
We will give you a mild sedative to take the night before your first appointment to guarantee a restful night of sleep. This insures you wake up relaxed and peaceful about your visit.
Step 4 - Arriving for treatment
Your companion will bring you to the office. Additional medications will be provided to create a very comfortable and completely relaxed state. The latest in monitoring equipment tracks your vital signs throughout the procedure to ensure your safety. We promise to never proceed unless you are totally relaxed and comfortably sedated. You will be amazed at how much can be accomplished in such a seemingly short period of time.
Step 5 - Going home
Because of the lingering relaxed state from the sedatives, you will need a companion to take you home. Post-treatment instructions and any necessary medications will be provided to you and your companion. This will ensure you continue to be comfortable after your care.
Step 6 - The next day
You are free to resume your normal activities. Most patients feel no discomfort or residual effects from the dental treatment. Fortunately, sedation medications have an amnesic effect. That means you will have very little memory of your visit.
Frequently asked questions regarding sedation dentistry:
- Adults who have high fear
- Those who have had traumatic dental experiences and are afraid of having bad dental experiences again
- People who have difficultly getting numb with local anesthetics
- People with very sensitive teeth
- People with busy lifestyles who need a lot of dentistry completed comfortably in one or two appointments
- Adults who hate needles and shots
- Adults who object to the noises, smells, and tastes associated with dental care
- People who are afraid and embarrassed about their teeth and want a nice smile that looks professional and enhances their image.
- Nursing mothers
- Acute narrow angle glycoma
- Allergy or sensitivity to benzodiazepine medications
- Severe medical conditions
- Significant respiratory problems like severe asthma or emphysema
- Taking a medication called a MAO inhibitor
- We estimate that 90-95% of the adult population are good candidates for oral sedation dentistry.
- We will go over preoperative instructions in detail when you are scheduling your visit. The highlights are:
- Nothing to eat or drink 8 hrs prior
- Reduce caffeine for 12 hrs prior
- No alcohol or narcotic drugs
- Take prescription drugs as you normally would unless otherwise directed
- No contact lenses
- Wear light-weight comfortable clothing, preferably with short sleeves
- It is absolutely essential that you have your escort drive you to your appointment and back home
- Sedation Dentistry has an extra charge of $500 per appointment.
Progressive Dental wants you to get
the Dental Care that you -
or someone you know - requires.
So please give us a call to take
that initial first step today!