Foster LLP > Services > Areas of Family Law > Divorce

By: Foster LLP  09-12-2011
Keywords: Divorce, Child Support, Legal Opinion


A Divorce is the legal process which terminates a marriage. To apply for a divorce in Alberta, one spouse must have resided in Alberta for a year. A party applying for a divorce begins by filing a Statement of Claim for Divorce in the Court of Queen's Bench of Alberta. The filed Statement of Claim must be then be served upon the other spouse.

The Divorce Act sets forth the laws in Canada regarding divorce, the laws related to child support, custody and access for children of the marriage and the laws related to spousal support for married spouses. If the party filing for divorce wishes to make any claims regarding child support, spousal support, custody and/or access, they should be listed in the Statement of Claim for Divorce. A party who is served with a Statement of Claim for Divorce may respond by filing a Statement of Defence and / or Counterclaim seeking child support, spousal support, custody and/or access. There are time limits for filing these documents.

The parties are not divorced until a Divorce Judgment has been granted by a Justice of the Court of Queen's Bench. The Divorce Act states that the Court must ensure that appropriate arrangements are made for the payment of child support before a Divorce Judgment may be granted. A Divorce Judgment does not finalize the division of matrimonial property.

Whether your divorce is complicated, involving issues of support and parenting, or simple, the process is complex. Many documents must be filed to complete even the most straight forward divorce and procedural rules must be followed. It can be a very time-intensive and frustrating project for a non-lawyer to complete.

The lawyers at Foster LLP recommend that, at a minimum, anyone seeking a divorce should have an initial consultation with a lawyer to receive a legal opinion regarding their possible rights and obligations.

Keywords: Child Support, Divorce, Legal Opinion

Other products and services from Foster LLP


Foster LLP > Services > Areas of Family Law > Parenting and Access

If you have any concerns about the custody/parenting of your children, please contact one of our lawyers immediately, particularly if there have been any recent changes in the care arrangements for your children or if there are any plans to change the residence of your children.


Foster LLP > Services > Areas of Family Law > Spousal Support

Once it is determined that a spouse may be eligible for spousal support, the next issue is the duration of spousal support, the amount of spousal support and whether the amount shall be paid each month or in one lump sum and whether or not the support obligation will be secured.


Foster LLP > Services > Areas of Family Law > Child Support

The Child Support Guideline Tables are used to obtain the Child Support Guideline amount the payor parent must pay to the primary caregiver parent based on the number of children and the payor parent's Guideline Income. In May 1997 the Federal Child Support Guidelines came into effect for the purpose of simplifying the calculation of Child Support. The payor parent may be required to pay a share of the following additional expenses.


Foster LLP > Services > Areas of Family Law > Property

The Matrimonial Property Act states that married spouses may conclude a final and legal binding division of their property any way they want, provided they put the terms of the division into a written agreement specifically identifying and valuing the assets and liabilities.


Foster LLP > Services > Areas of Family Law > Common Law Rights

While most people are aware that by living together they may create rights of entitlement to share in property or to support a spouse, they usually do not know what those rights are, and often make assumptions regarding those rights that are wrong.